The Hamilton Association is one of Canada's oldest independent, not-for-profit, cultural organizations. It has its origins in the Hamilton Scientific Association, founded in 1857, and counts among its founding members Dr. John Rae, Arctic explorer and physician, who served as the Association's first Vice-President and second President.
Many prominent Hamilton and area educational and cultural organizations had their beginnings in, or received early support and encouragement from, the Hamilton Association, including the Hamilton Public Library, the Art Gallery of Hamilton, the Royal Botanical Gardens, and McMaster University.
The Association's principal activity is the presentation each year of eight free public lectures which are open to anyone interested in attending. One of the public talks, named in recognition of Dr. John Rae, honours Rae's connection to the Canadian landscape by focussing on a topic related to the Canadian North or the spirit of exploration.
- Maitland Banting Silver Quill Award
- Hamilton Association Young Poet's Award
- da Vinci Science Fair Award
From time to time the Association sponsors a special event, tour or lecture in addition to its regular scheduled events. Such events will be posted on our Special Events page and announced at our talks.
The Association's annual General Meeting is usually held prior to our public lecture in October. The date and times are listed on our Lectures page.
A member is someone who has paid either our annual membership fee or our one-time-only life membership fee.
- share their expertise and experience regarding some issue of concern to the Council
- offer an idea concerning our lecture series, awards or other activities
- suggest a possible presenter for the annual lecture series
- provide the name of a potential new member for the Council.
We endeavour to keep our members (and friends) informed in advance about upcoming lectures and other HA activities. Both members and friends receive..
- a printed copy of the Association's annual brochure, usually in August, well before the start of the year's lecture series
- emailed notification throughout the Fall and Spring of upcoming lectures, the Annual Meeting and other HA events
- an emailed or printed copy of the President's annual letter to everyone on the Association's mailing list.
For information about membership fees and other ways of contributing financially to the Association go to our Become a Member page. There you will also find..
- a link to a Membership Application form which you can print and mail to us along with your payment
- a link to "CanadaHelps.org", where you can make a secure online donation to obtain a membership and/or for other purposes.
Membership Application forms are also available at our public lectures and are distributed with our annual brochure.
A friend is someone who, although not a member (see above), wants to be kept informed about upcoming lectures and other HA activities and/or makes a special financial contribution to the Association.
You'll get the same mailings as HA members but you won't have the personal satisfaction that comes with having contributed financially to our educational efforts or awards. For instructions on how to add your name to our list of Assocation friends, go to our Become a Friend page.
The Association is recognized as a charitable organization by the Canada Revenue Agency. Our Charitable Business Number is "11923 6651 RR0001". You will find annual financial and other information about us on the CRA's Charities Directorate website. Search for us on the CRA site with the phrase "Hamilton Association for the Advancement", not with "HAALSA".
Contributions for membership and our awards funds are donations for charitable purposes that convey no tangible "benefit" (CRA`s term) to the donor. As such they are tax deductible at the CRA-prescribed rates.
Donors who change their address after donating should be sure to inform our Treasurer of their new address.
Please read the information provided on our "Receipts" page.
|Ms. Vivian Lewis||President|
|Prof. Anthony Petric||Past-President|
|Ms. Aurelia Shaw||Secretary, Publicity|
|Mr. David Keane||Treasurer, Webmaster|
|Ms. Karen Anderson||Councillor|
|Ms. Kathryn Ball||Councillor|
|Mr. Peter Banting||Councillor|
|Mr. Marvin Gunderman||Councillor|
|Mr. Michael Jefferson||Councillor, Science Fair|
|Prof. Kenneth Rosenthal||Councillor|
|Ms. Bernadette Ryan||Councillor|
Dr. Karleen Dudeck, a former member of Council, oversees HAALSA's social media.
|Ms. Aurelia Shaw, Secretary
(general inquiries, publicity)
|Ms Vivian Lewis, Presidentemail@example.com||tel: 905.521.9438|
|Mr. David Keane, Treasurer
|The Association's postal address is||42 Head St
Hamilton, ON L8R 1P9